I know that many fellow cavepeople stay away from dairy completely, but, I do not. That said, I do minimize my intake and try to eat only full fat dairy from happy grass-fed cows. For me, good quality cheese, greek yogurt and a touch of sour cream (as used in this recipe) are gastronomically important enough to include in my diet. They are filling. They have a good balance of protein and fat. And they are just so damn tasty that I’d be miserable without them.
Last night, I made this dish in less than 15 minutes. It was one of those times when I looked at the fridge and almost didn’t feel like cooking but pushed myself just a bit and ended up with a delicious entree that was nutrionally superior to anything I could have ordered in. As always, I prefer to use organic vegetables if possible but neither zucchini nor mushrooms are on the Dirty Dozen List so if you go conventional here, it’s ok.
Chicken with Zucchini and Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 Pastured Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Organic Zucchini
- 1 Cup of Mushrooms (I used a mix of Cremini and Shitake, but even regular button shrooms will do)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- Pound the chicken breast into paillards about 1/3 of an inch thick (a.k.a. nice cutlets) or slice the chicken if you’d prefer.
- Slice the zucchini once lengthwise to create two long half cylinders and then slice 1/4 inch pieces of each ending up with half moons.
- Dice the mushrooms quite well.
- Mince the garlic or use a press.
- Using a cast iron skillet or other pan, heat the coconut oil over medium-high fire.
- Add the garlic and some salt and pepper. Cook for a minute to let the flavor release into the oil.
- Sautee the chicken until slightly tan on each side.
- Add in the mushrooms and zucchini and a touch more salt and pepper.
- Cook the vegetables but leave the zucchini still slightly firm (I didn’t like squishy veggies when I was a kid and I still don’t).
- Add in the sour cream and a couple tablespoons of water depending on how much “sauce” you want.
- Cook everything together for another 30 seconds or so and remove from heat.
- Eat and Enjoy!
- 2 servings
- 454 calories per serving
- 27.5 grams of fat per serving
- 7.5 grams of carbohydrates per serving
- 1.5 grams of fiber per serving
- 46 grams of protein per serving